A commanding officer shared an advice using an illustration which really struck a deep chord of thought in me.
He said ….
1. Everyday when you go to bed ask your buddy to fix up your uniform and hang it up on the wall opposite your bed.
When you get into bed look at that uniform and ask yourself…. What happens if I don’t wear this uniform and try to enter any army installation….?
The answer is far from being saluted!! You will be stopped at the gate and questioned!!!
And if your buddy wears this uniform and walks past the quarter guard he will get a salute.
So the salute was not for you it was for the uniform hanging on that wall which made you what you are but remember it’s not going to be yours forever!! It will go away one day…
prepare yourself for it!!!
2. Every day when you finish work make every one leave your office.
Get up from your chair, walk across to the other side, sit down and look at your chair..
There were so many orders you passed today thinking they were very important…
But tomorrow someone else will sit on that same chair and may reverse all your orders rubbishing them..!!!
The orders you passed thinking you were an important person was actually the chair which was passing them. And that chair is only temporary!!! It’s not going to be yours forever!!! It just gave you some temporary powers which will be gone the moment you leave the chair…!!!
Use the powers given to you judiciously. Use it to write your name in GOLD, use it to wipe away tears from the faces of the less privileged in our society. Use it for nation building and not with arrogance to prove your superiority!!!
After hearing this, I’d vividly remembered a song by the legendary Raggae Artist Lucky Dube titled “The Way It Is”.
May I ask you today
What are you using your uniform or chair for today?
– Are you using them to bring people down and show them where power lies?
– Are you using them to help friends and cronies even when it is not their time and just because they salute you every morning?
– Are you using them to divide and rule and create enemity?
– What are you using them for?
Remember the person today you are using your uniform or chair to destroy may be the one that will tomorrow supervise your child, nephew, niece, grandson, granddaughter, stepchild, your sister or brother.
– How will you feel if same is repeated on all these people?
– Think , my brother, my sister think. For you do not know tomorrow.
– Use your uniform or chair to promote the betterment of all.
– Be a mother , father ,sister, brother, a friend to all.
Life is like a standing fan it rotates round to touch everyone, what you have today might be taken away from you and given to another person if you misuse it consistently with conscience.
That which you’ve acquired or that level you’ve attained today, so many people have surpassed that long time ago. So remain humble and not brag about it.
Be a honest judge.
Hear all sides of every story.
Fear your creator.
Hate none but love all.
Tomorrow is unknown.